Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Students who are deaf or hard of hearing (D/HH) may require support to access the general education curriculum.
The Oakland Schools teacher consultants for students who are deaf or hard of hearing provide direct and consultation services in accordance with student's Individual Education Plan (IEP).
Local districts must request services by completing a District Service Request (DSR) and submitting necessary documentation.
Service delivery may include:
- Instruction in auditory skills, language development, and self advocacy
- Consultation with educational staff and families regarding accommodations and hearing assistive technology
- Training and support regarding use of hearing assistive technology
- Evaluation for eligibility in collaboration with local district staff
Oakland Schools Educational Audiologists support Local Education Agencies (LEAs) servicing students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Our goal is to improve educational outcomes of children with hearing loss.
- Provide student evaluation for eligibility determination in collaboration with LEA teams
- Describe the educational impact of hearing loss with parents and educators
- Conduct Hearing Assistive Technology (HAT) evaluations for students
- Configure and customize HAT to optimize the use for individual students
- Provide technical assistance and support to LEA staff on the application of HAT and resolution of technical issues
Educational Audiology services are available to LEAs with the submission of the District Service Request (DSR), available through the district's office of special education.
If you have questions concerning Educational Audiology services, please contact the Educational Audiologist currently serving your district.
Kristin Cassady - Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Lamphere, Madison, Berkley, Hazel Park, Oak Park, Ferndale, Southfield, Clarenceville
Janice Rich - Huron Valley, South Lyon, Walled Lake, West Bloomfield , Novi, Farmington
Kate Salathiel - Oxford, Clarkston, Lake Orion, Brandon , Holly, Waterford, DHH program in Bloomfield Hills
Mary Anne Santoro - Rochester, Avondale, Troy, Pontiac, Clawson and Royal Oak