The Oakland Schools Department of Special Populations is dedicated to providing leadership, services and support that strengthens the capacity of Oakland County public school districts and community partners to support the achievement and well-being of all students with special needs.
School districts of Oakland County provide special education services and programs for approximately 21,000 students identified as eligible for special education.
All programs for students with disabilities in Oakland County are designed and operated by local districts, including center programs.
Services of the Oakland Schools Intermediate School District include, but are not limited to:
- consultation and instruction of students with low incidence disabilities
- audiological evaluations
- technical assistance
- access to assistive technology
- professional learning opportunities
School districts served by Oakland Schools (OS) can request professional learning (PL) provided at a district site by the OS Special Populations Department.
The Special Populations Department offers many professional learning events year round, in formats ranging from the traditional face-to-face format to webinars and other online formats.
Parent Advisory Committee
The Oakland County Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) is comprised of parents of students with IEPs within Oakland County. Each school district and public school academy may assign two representatives to the PAC. The Oakland Schools PAC typically meets the first Wednesday each month (October through June) at Oakland Schools between 7:00-9:00 p.m. Meetings include membership work, legal updates, and training on various topics related to special education, and are open to the public.
The 2018-2019 Oakland Schools PAC Board Members:
- PAC Chair: Jon Calderwood, Royal Oak
- PAC Chair-Elect: Angela Tyszka, Avondale
- PAC Secretary: Cory Hensley, Walled Lake
- PAC Past-Chair: Suzanne Marquardt, Lamphere
Oakland Schools Staff:
- Karen Olex, Executive Director of Special Education
- Michelle Wolschlager, Compliance Consultant
- Lara MacQuarrie, Capacity Building Consultant
- Laura Kramer, Project Assistant email@example.com