The Oakland Schools Department of Special Populations is dedicated to providing quality services and support intended to strengthen the capacity of Oakland County public school districts. In partnership with local districts and community agencies, the department strives to improve the educational achievement and well-being of all students with disabilities.
School districts of Oakland County provide special education services and programs for approximately 21,000 students identified as eligible for special education.
All programs for students with disabilities in Oakland County are designed and operated by local districts, including center programs for students with the most significant needs.
Services provided by the Oakland Schools Intermediate School District may include, but are not limited to:
- Technical assistance
- Direct instruction (to students with low incidence disabilities)
- Audiological evaluations
- Assistive technology
The Special Populations Department offers many professional learning events throughout the year, in formats ranging from the traditional face-to-face format to webinars and other online platforms.
School districts served by Oakland Schools (OS) can request professional learning (PL) provided at a district site by the OS Special Populations Department.
Parent Advisory Committee
The Oakland County Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) is comprised of parents of students with an Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) or Individualized Education Program (IEP) within Oakland County. Each school district and public school academy are encouraged to appoint one or two PAC representatives. The Oakland Schools PAC typically meets on the first Wednesday of the following months: October, November, December, February, March, May and June at Oakland Schools or Virtually from 7:00-9:00 p.m. Meetings include membership work, legal updates, and training on various topics related to special education, and are open to the public.
The meeting dates and topics for the 2020-21 School Year are:
- Wednesday, October 7, 2020 Topic: Member Orientation
- Wednesday, November 4, 2020 Topic: Combined PAC/SEAOC Meeting
- Wednesday, December 9, 2020 Topic: Preparing for Life after School
- Wednesday, February 3, 2021 Topic: Extended School Year
- Wednesday, March 10, 2021 Topic: PAC Bylaws
- Wednesday, May 5, 2021 Topic: District Data Portfolios
- Wednesday, June 2, 2021 Topic: Update from Teri Rinke, Director of Special Education, Michigan Department of Education
The 2020-2021 Oakland Schools PAC Board Members:
- PAC Chair: Angela Tyszka, Avondale
- PAC Chair-Elect: Kenzi Bisbing, Waterford
- PAC Secretary: Cory Hensley, Walled Lake
- PAC Past-Chair: Jon Calderwood, Royal Oak
Oakland Schools PAC Staff Liaisons:
- Karen Olex, Executive Director of Special Education
- Alan Ellias, Compliance Consultant
- Debbie Durant, Consultant – Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Laura Kramer, Project Assistant
Special Education OS Parent Handbook
The Special Education Oakland Schools Parent Handbook was developed for parents of students with disabilities. It includes programs, people, and organizations available to help you and your child. It also serves as one source of information about state and federal laws that have been written to protect the rights of students with disabilities, including your procedural safeguards.
The Oakland Schools Plan for the Delivery of Special Education (ISD Plan) documents information about the delivery system of special education programs and services in Oakland County. Obtain your copy of the Oakland Schools Plan for Delivery of Special Education (ISD Plan).
If you have compliance questions related to the education of students with disabilities, please contact our unit at 248.209.2552.