mi PLACE is an initiative led and organized by Oakland Schools that offers a virtual learning space for K-12 public educators.
This portal offers professional development in the form of instructor-led courses, webinars, and independent learning modules, as well as the opportunity to collaborate with other educators in a user-driven environment.
If you have questions about membership, please contact Sue Kiersey at 248.209.2152, or talk with any Oakland Schools consultant that you may be working with.
At the heart of the mi PLACE community are two spaces:
Engaged, Connected, Self-Directed
- Browse the catalogue for high quality virtual and blended learning offerings like webinars, self-paced modules, and online courses offered by Oakland Schools and other organizations.
- Engage in anywhere anytime learning for credit.
- Learn Together with your department, PLC or project group using learning offerings face to face.
- Develop your own learning plan made up of mi PLACE-based and external offerings.
- Earn digital badges for mastery of concepts and skills.
- Print a record of your learning, badges, and credits.
Dialogue, Discover, Design
- Collaborative with colleagues synchronously and asynchronously.
- Converse and share resources with an interest group you’ve created.
- Utilize a tool set, including Google apps, to hold hangouts, schedule events, and create documents with your groups.
- Design resources, lessons, curriculum and other stuff in this virtual space.
- Find resources posted by Oakland Schools consultants and mi PLACE community members.