Oakland Schools Transportation Services is dedicated to supporting the safe, timely and efficient school bus transportation for over 90,000 students across Oakland County.
Oakland Schools leads a collaborative effort to provide special education transportation as well as cooperative purchasing for school bus parts, tires, drug and alcohol testing and physicals. Transportation Services also provides consultation services, computer software and support for school bus routing, fleet management and driver certification programs.
Dedicated to the education and professional development of transportation staff, Michigan State Mandated School Bus Safety Education and other training relative to school transportation are also offered. Our website includes resources for school personnel, students, parents and the community.
School Bus Light Guidance
Schools buses with overhead red and yellow lights (with or without bus stop signs)
- Yellow lights are flashing: Prepare to stop
- Red lights are flashing: Stop no closer than 20 feet from the bus
- Red lights turned off: Proceed
Schools buses with overhead red lights (with or without bus stop signs)
- Red lights are flashing and bus is stopped: Stop no closer than 20 feet from the bus
- When red lights are turned off: Proceed
All school buses with yellow lights
- Yellow hazard warning lights are flashing: Proceed with caution
Bus Driver Training
Please reference the sections below for more information by clicking each panel below.
Safety education for School Bus Drivers and persons in charge of school bus operations is mandated by Michigan State Law 257.1851, School Bus Safety Education.