Local organizations team up to help food insecure
What do you get when Oakland Schools, Lighthouse, Gardner White Furniture, Gleaners Food Bank, Oakland Community College and Oakland University come together?
An amazing partnership that has led to thousands of families getting access to food during the COVID-19 pandemic. In fact, just last week, 900 Oakland County families experiencing food insecurity were served.
While Oakland Schools and Lighthouse are using their connections with local families to make sure those in need of assistance are aware of the food distribution, Gardner White Furniture is utilizing its trucks to do food delivery, Oakland University has a distribution site and Oakland Community College in Farmington is a staging site for packing the food boxes.
“Families are already struggling to meet basic needs in general and they shouldn’t have to worry about food,” said Sara Orris, Oakland Schools Homeless Student Services consultant. “There’s a lot of stress and trauma with all of this going on so if we can remove one less stressor, then hopefully that can help.”
To place a food order request, call Lighthouse at: (248) 920-6000 (and dialing the number 2) Or submit online at https://mycovidresponse.org/signup?networkpartner=744 OR (248) 600-9541 or visit mycovidresponse.org.
Delivery is available anywhere in Oakland County if transportation is a barrier. Let the staff person know during order placement.
Distribution/pickup sites will include:
- Lighthouse in Pontiac: 46156 Woodward Ave.
Monday-Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Lighthouse in Clarkston: 5850 Dixie Hwy.
Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Lighthouse St. David’s Food Pantry: 16200 W. 12 Mile, Southfield
Tues., Wed, Friday, 10 a.m. to Noon
- CARES of Farmington Hills, 27835 Shiawassee Road
Tues., Wed., Friday, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Food orders can be placed between 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- You will request the pickup location that works best for you along with the best time and date.
- Food boxes will be packed and labeled with your name for quick pick-up to limit exposure to others.
Sarah Davis is the communications specialist for Oakland Schools.