The following are highlights from Oakland Schools and the Oakland Schools Technical Campuses. Questions? Please contact Danelle Gittus, APR, Public Relations Specialist, Oakland Schools at 248.209.2181 or the appropriate contact below.
OAKLAND SCHOOLS NEWS IN BRIEF
WATERFORD, MI – May 5, 2008
- Media invited to scholarship banquet on May 6 at Oakland Schools
- Oakland County teachers honored during National Teacher Appreciation Week
- Oakland Schools Instructor earns Fulbright honor; traveling to Japan in October
- Golf Outing to Benefit Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) and Local Student College Scholarships
- Students pitched in to build affordable housing in Pontiac (Oakland Schools Technical Campus Northwest – Clarkston)
- Award winning students from Northwest Campus (Oakland Schools Technical Campus Northwest – Clarkston)
- Southeast Campus students win at State Skills Competition in Lansing (Royal Oak)
- Oakland County school district transportation staff recognized by peers
Media invited to scholarship banquet on May 6 at Oakland Schools
The DENSO Oakland Schools Education Foundation will award 22 scholarships to deserving high school seniors attending the four Oakland Schools Technical Campuses and the Oakland Schools Vehicle Design and Engineering Academy on Tuesday, May 6 at Oakland Schools (2111 Pontiac Lake Road, Waterford) from 4-6 PM. Click here for the full media release, including names of students. For more information on the scholarships, please contact Sherry Kuchon, Coordinator, Grant Management and Fund Development, Oakland Schools by phone at 248.209.2567 or by email email@example.com.
Oakland County teachers honored during National Teacher Appreciation Week
On Thursday, May 8, 2008, Oakland Schools will host the 21st annual Outstanding Teacher of the Year Awards. Fifty-two Oakland County teachers nominated by colleagues, principals, students, parents and others for their outstanding contributions to the classroom will be honored at the event. The nominees were rated by a nine-member selection committee consisting of education and community representatives. Media are invited to attend this wonderful event – Great photo opportunities! For more information read the full press release or contact Danelle Gittus, APR, Communication Services, Oakland Schools at 248.209.2181.
Oakland Schools Instructor earns Fulbright honor; traveling to Japan in October
This October, Paul Galbenski, Business, Management, Marketing, and Technology (BMMT) Teacher at Oakland Schools Technical Campus Southeast (Royal Oak) will depart for Tokyo as a participant in the Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund (JFMF) Teacher Program. Mr. Galbenski was selected from a national pool of over 1,700 applicants by a panel of educators to earn this honor. This program allows distinguished primary and secondary school educators in the U.S. to travel to Japan for three weeks in an effort to promote greater intercultural understanding between the two nations. He will be among 160 educators visiting Japan in October. For more information, please contact Paul Galbenski at 248.288.4020.
Student produced media release
Golf Outing to Benefit Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.), Local Student College Scholarships
Business, Management, Marketing, and Technology students at Oakland Schools Technical Campus Southwest in Wixom are hosting a Golf Outing on Wednesday, May 21, 2008. The event will be held at Moose Ridge Golf Course in South Lyon starting at 9 AM.
This a 100% student operated golf outing. They plan, organize and run the entire outing from beginning to end. This includes contacting suppliers, negotiating contracts, selling sponsorships, and handling all responsibilities on event day. This is a very unique opportunity for these students to integrate their classroom concepts with a real world application.
In the seven years that students have been organizing this event, over $45,000 has been donated to selected charities and over $30,000 has been awarded to local high school students for college scholarships. If you would like to contribute or golf in the outing please contact the students at the phone number below.
For more information about the Golf Outing, please contact the BMMT Students at Oakland Schools Technical Campus Southwest at 248.668.5619.
Oakland Schools Technical Campus Northwest students pitched in to build affordable housing in Pontiac
Oakland Schools Technical Campus Northwest Construction Technology students hit a home run with their most recent project. Students partnered with Lighthouse Community Development and West Construction to build affordable housing for low to moderate income families. Students are hosting an Open House on Thursday, May 15, 2008 from 8:30 -10:30 AM and 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM at the home, located at 299 Osmun at Unity Park in Pontiac. The partnership brings together hands-on learning for students, neighborhood revitalization, and builds a real community of hope and opportunity. For more information, please contact Chuck Locklear, Dean, Oakland Schools Technical Campus Northwest at 248.922.5800.
Award winning students from Northwest Campus (Oakland Schools Technical Campus Northwest – Clarkston)
Engineering & Emerging Technologies
On April 30, 2008 Engineering & Emerging Technologies students from Oakland Schools Technical Campus Northwest participated in the SAE Micro-electric Car Competition at Yazaki in Canton, Michigan. The students won several awards at the competition and earned $1,000 for the Northwest Campus.
- First place, Chad Terry (Waterford Kettering High School junior)
- First place, Adam Mowery (Waterford Kettering High School junior)
- Third place, Stewart Blaquiere (Our Lady of the Lakes senior)
- Third place, Carl Zepniewski (Holly High School senior)
- Fourth place, John Kim (Waterford Kingsley Montgomery High School senior)
- Fourth place, Shawn Olsabeck (Waterford Kettering High School junior)
- Eighth Place, Antonio Cervantes (Our Lady of the Lakes High School senior)
On April 21, 2008 Kayla Marsh (Waterford Mott High School junior) earned a Bronze Medal for Medical Spelling at the HOSA State Leadership Conference. Five of her classmates also placed in the top ten:
- Pharmacology Knowledge Test, Crystal Eller (Holly High School senior) -
- Pharmacology Knowledge Test, Lyndsey Mott (Waterford Kettering High School senior)
- Forensic Medicine Team , Renae Fudge and Whitney Francis (Clarkston High School seniors)
- Nutrition Knowledge Test, Toni Havens (Clarkston High School senior)
Since November 14, 1994, HVAC/R Technicians must earn a special certification to service, maintain and dispose of air conditioning and refrigeration systems. The following HVAC students passed the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) Section #608 Certification in Refrigerant Recovery Type II which allows them to work on residential and commercial air conditioning systems:
- Dave Carlock (Waterford Kettering High School junior)
- Antoine Carpenter (Tuition student)
- Alex Kovaleski (Clarkston Alternative High School senior)
- Tom Andras (Holly High School senior)
- Aaron Chambers (Waterford Kettering High School senior)
- Joshua Darling (Clarkston Alternative High School senior)
- Mike Spagnola (Waterford Kettering High School senior)
- Scott Stottlemeyer (Waterford Kettering High School senior)
- Joshua Tersigni (Clarkston High School senior)
- Tom Willits (Waterford Kettering High School senior)
- Jared Zoner (Waterford Kettering High School senior)
For more information, please contact Chuck Locklear, Dean, Oakland Schools Technical Campus Northwest at 248.922.5800.
Oakland Schools Technical Campus Southeast students also win at State Skills Competition in Lansing
In addition to the students mentioned in last week’s Media Briefs, several students from Oakland Schools Technical Campus Southeast placed in the 36th Annual State Skills USA/VICA Championships held in Lansing on April 18-20, 2008.
First place, Technical Computer Applications, JohnPaul Nuar (Berkley Tri Community High School senior)
Second place, Technical Computer Applications, Brittany Green (Royal Oak High School senior)
Third place, Allison Ennis (Royal Oak High School senior)
Brittany Green also earned a medal for placing in the top 10 (of more than 1,400 students) on the Skills USA Knowledge Test.
This brings the number of Oakland Schools Technical Campus medal winners to 23 at the State Competition. The list of winners from the Northeast, Northwest and Southwest Campuses, can be found in the Oakland Schools Press Room on our website. Click here to read the media brief from April 25.
Oakland County school district transportation staff recognized by peers
Oakland Schools Transportation Services and the Oakland County Transportation Supervisors recognized the recipients of the Seventh Annual Oakland County Excellence in Transportation Awards. The Lake Orion Community School District Transportation Department hosted the banquet on April 24, 2008 which honored the “Stars of the Night.” Recipients include bus drivers, bus monitors, aides, mechanics, support staff, etc. This year’s recipients are:
· Edward Vendittelli and Randy Weiss, Birmingham
· Becky Gaff and Melanie Hoffman, Bloomfield Hill
· Dorothy Anderson and Holly Masters, Clarkston
· Susan Collins and Susan Janowicz, Farmington
· Linda Gilmore, Holly
· Nancy Hornacek and Larry Scramlin, Lake Orion
· Bill Erickson, Novi
· Delores Dalton, Oak Park
· Terry Akins and Alison De-Nise, Oxford
· Karen Kilgo and Kyle Southern, Rochester
· Patrick Beemer and Linda Blaszczyk, South Lyon
· Chris Detka and Veronica Miller, Southfield
· Tracy Dudley and Russel Galorneau, Walled Lake
· Amy Schemers and Edward Stutesman, West Bloomfield
For more information about the Oakland County Excellence in Transportation Awards please contact Carol Allen, Oakland Schools at 248.209.2101.